Thứ Hai, 20 tháng 2, 2012

Scientists Are Wrong in Saying Calorie-Counting Diets Don't Work

COMMENTARY | Scientists say they know why the obesity rate is so high: Everything we know about dieting, including calorie counting and metabolism rates, is wrong, AFP reports. This would explain why the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stats show we're getting fatter faster. Generally, I think this study is overlooking some key issues.

It says people quit dieting because they don't know about the plateau effect and they should cut fewer calories over a longer period. Most dieters know that crash dieting might take the fat off faster, but it really doesn't teach new healthy new habits. I've tried the fad diets for quick weight loss (Acai, Hoodia, lemon detox). I lost a few pounds with those tricks, but it's only with better nutrition that I've managed make any real strides.

To lose weight, my nurse practitioner had me identify a goal weight (I chose 125 pounds). According to her algorithm, people who weigh that amount consume 1,400 calories a day. If I want to weigh 125 pounds, I need to take in calories needed to sustain that weight. I've been following this plan, and I've lost 40 pounds in about six months. The more exercise I build in, the better it works.

Yes, people fall off the wagon when they plateau, but it's more than that. Most dieters quit because they don't see appreciable results and get discouraged. If I only cut out 100 calories a day, as suggested in the study, I would only lose about 10 pounds per year. I can't speak for everyone, but I would have given up long before at those rates.

The study also ignores age-related weight issues. The goal weight plan from my nurse practitioner does, too. Up till age 38 or so, I weighed 125 pounds. I was on-the-go constantly. I never did formal exercise and I could eat anything I wanted and not gain weight. After 38, I had some health setbacks, was less active and put on weight very easily. Much of that could be exercise-related, but aging accounts for some of the problem. Weight loss research needs to address those issues.


View the original article here